Critical Disability Studies Symposium *Cripping emotions, queering notions of humanity*
FREE! symposium hosted by Manchester Metropolitan University
Date: 24th November 2011 ~ 10am – 3pm
Venue: Elizabeth Gaskell Campus, Manchester Metropolitan University. Lecture room to be announced.
This symposium seeks to explore assumptions of emotions and emotional practices from perspectives of disability studies, sexuality studies, gender studies and animal studies. This call for papers seeks contributions around the following areas:
- Understanding normative and counternormative expressions of emotions
- Making sense of and challenging politics of emotions
- Exploring assumpted links between love and sexual and/or reproductive practices
- Exploring changing norms of emotional practices through time and space
- Exploring when a specific emotional expression becomes an expression of non/humanity
- Examining the ways in which normative assumptions of emotions and emotional practices function on the level of the everyday / mundane
- Bringing together ideas from the human and social sciences and humanities
Keynote speakers will include Hanna Bertilsdotter Rosqvist (Guest researcher at CDS@MMU, Post-doctoral Research Associate in Sociology & Gender studies, Umeå university, Sweden)
Deadline for paper abstracts: 22nd October 2011.