Caroline Gooding Memorial Seminar
Friday 4 December 2015 | 14:00-17:00
Moot Court Room, School of Law,
University Of Leeds
This is a free event but registration in advance is required
Twenty years after the enactment of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, it is becoming clear that legal aid and other reforms in England and Wales are having a significant impact on the enforcement of disability equality rights (now contained in the Equality Act 2010).
This half-day event focuses on the nature and extent of this impact and provides a space for reflection about how disability equality law might be harnessed to contribute to driving the social change for which it was introduced. It brings together activists, lawyers, politicians, researchers and others at the cutting edge of these debates to exchange experiences, perspectives and ideas. Please do join us!
• Debbie Abrahams (Shadow Minister for Disabled People and MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth)
• Colin Low (House of Lords and Low Commission)
• Catherine Casserley (Cloisters Chambers and Adviser to the House of Lords Committee on the Equality Act 2010)
• Rhian Davies (Director of Disability Wales)
• Catherine Rayner (7BR Chambers and Chair of the Discrimination Law Association)
• Debbie Jolly (Co-founder of Disabled People against Cuts, and a director of European Network on Independent Living)
The event is in memory of Caroline Gooding, a key architect, campaigner, and implementer of our disability equality law
This event is part of the Human Rights in Collaboration series of events.
It is jointly hosted by the Centre for Disability Studies and the Centre for Law and Social Justice, University of Leeds.
Moot Court Room,
School of Law,
University of Leeds,
Leeds, LS6 1AN. UK
BSL interpretation, lip-speaker and palantypist support will be available.
•There is limited car-parking available on campus on a first come, first serve basis. (http://www.meetinleeds.co.uk/getting-to-the-university-of-leeds)
•Parking spaces are available on campus for blue badge holders. Please contact 0113 343 5491 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
School of Law
Room G.14, The Liberty Building
University of Leeds
Direct line: 0113 3435054