Our next Disability Reading Group session will take place on the 5th of April at 1-2pm in Arundel 10311, Sheffield Hallam University City Campus, Howard Street, S1 1WB.
The text that we will discuss will be Hehir, Thomas. (2002) “Eliminating Ableism in Education”, in: Harvard Educational Review, vol. 72, no. 1: ProQuest Education Journals.
Professor Nick Hodge has suggested the following questions to think and talk about during the session:
- What is the project of ableism as defined by Campbell (2009)?
- How does this differ from disablism?
- How does ableism differ from Davis’s concept of Normalcy, or is it a subset of it?
- In our own research, are we carrying out the project of ableism, and if so, how?
- For a research project to be able to claim it is working within/carrying out the project of ableism, what are the essential characteristics that it must demonstrate?
- In education, what are the acts of ableism that we should look to disrupt?