From September 2005, the DRF (then based at the University of Sheffield) began a monthly series of seminars which has continued ever since.
Date: Thursday 15th September 2005 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Tsitsi Chataika (University of Sheffield): Preliminary analysis: Important emerging themes
- Elva Robinson (University of Sheffield): Discussion of a play
Date: Wednesday 19th October 2005 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Article Discussion led by Katherine Runswick-Cole: Porter, J., Aspinall, A., Parsons, S., Simmonds, L., Wood, M., Culley, G. and Holroyd, A. (2005) ‘Time to listen’ Disability and Society 20:5 pp. 575-585.
- Heather Hollins (University of Leicester): ‘Access to Museums’: Research Outline and Methodology Dilemmas
Date: Thursday 8th December 2005 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Tabby Collingbourne (University of Sheffield): The Draft UN Convention on Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities – latest developments
- Alice Mathers (University of Sheffield): Communication methods and professionalism: The participation of people with learning disabilities in the experience of public open space
- Paul Doyle (University of Sheffield): Medical Model vs Social Model with reference to my dissertation
Date: Friday 28th April 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Ester Trewinnard (University of Sheffield): The Role and Experience of Disabled Street Musicians in Peruvian Society: How can becoming a street musician in Peru overcome personal and social limitations to influence positive changes for disabled people?
Skills Training Workshops
For the 2005-2006 academic year the DRF (then based at the University of Sheffield) received funding from the Skills Training Development Grant (STDG) to deliver a series of workshops in disability research. Details of these are below.
Date: 28th November 2005 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- New Horizons in Disability Research – with Dr. Dan Goodley (Reader in Applied Disability Studies and Director of COADS, University of Sheffield)
Date: 24th January 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Inclusive Communication For Research Part 1: Meeting Together – with Sue Maynard Campell, MBE (Equal Ability)
Date: 2nd March 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Inclusive Communication For Research Part 2: Written and Visual – with Sue Maynard Campell, MBE (Equal Ability)
Date: 24th May 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Navigating Future Funding in Disability-Related Research – with Dr Paul Ramcharan (Reader in Cognitive Disability and Co-Director of COADS)
Date: 7th June 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- What if they leave us out of our own ideas?: The concerns of learning disabled researchers working on research proposals with academic researchers – with Daniel Docherty, Tricia Phillips, Jo Frankham and Kathy Boxall
Date: 27th July 2006 – Venue: University of Sheffield
- Methodologies in Multi-Disciplinary Disability Research: A Seminar Day – with paper presentations by Irene Rose, Rebecca Mallett, Nick Hodge, Heather Hollins, Katherine Runswick-Cole and Tabby Collingbourne.